Monday, December 12, 2011

Worse than I expected

Seems like it has been forever since I updated here and so much has changed since my last post. I'll catch up as briefly as I can but I think this may be a super long one.
We are moving to NJ at the end of this month. My in-laws bought us a house (I can still hardly believe it myself!) and we will be about 2 miles from them, in the town where we lived before moving to Va. Neither of us have jobs there yet, so it's a bit scary but we're hopeful that we'll find something soon. My in-laws actually went to see the house and put a bid on it before we even saw it and we went to see it while we were there for Thanksgiving. It's a really nice house; bigger than this one, bigger yard, and on a quieter street. We're very excited and so overwhelmed by their generosity.  Things on that end are very good.
The not good part: I had to tell my mother. I had told her months ago that we weren't happy here and wanted to move but we kept it quiet while we were looking at houses on the internet and waited until this went through. I had expected her to react badly and give me a guilt trip but I wasn't fully prepared for the level she would take things to. She sent an email accusing me of all manner of things like denying them as my family, being cruel to them and blaming our move on them. She insisted that she and my Dad had tried to tell us not to move here (HUGE lie!) and to think things over and wait. She said they were very hurt by the way we are doing this and she hopes my in-laws live a very long time (very sarcastically). She also wrote that if I didn't stop complaining and judging, and say something positive then I was not to say anything to them again. Wow. I considered not even writing a reply but I desperately wanted to avoid leaving on (very) bad terms. Russ and his mom both wanted to tell her off when we left but I knew I couldn't live with that guilt so I really wanted to try and leave on good terms with her. Seems that's out the window now. I wrote back that I didn't understand why she was saying that I denied them as my family and that they didn't care. I told her that I took responsibility for the decision to move (even though she's the one that orchestrated everything and promised us the moon if we'd move here) and didn't blame them. I told her that whether she believed it or not we had tried very hard to be happy here and make friends. I said I didn't know what she meant by "how we are doing this" and that I had told her months ago that we were unhappy and would be moving. I told her we're not happy here so we are moving and that it didn't have to turn into something so ugly. I haven't heard from her since. I'm ok with her not talking to me but it hurts that she can turn her back on John so easily. She never said that she would miss him or that she would like to see him before we move. It's just the final confirmation that moving here for "family" was a huge mistake. It doesn't bother John that he doesn't see them because he's not used to seeing them on any kind of a regular basis anyway. So as things stand I'm not sure if I will never hear from my mother again or whether I will receive another hate filled, accusatory email from her letting me know how awful of a person I am. Sigh.
After the "exchange" with my mother I deleted all family members connected with her from my FB; she had already deleted me weeks ago. I just needed to make a break from the pain and I didn't want her keeping tabs on us through other family members and honestly I don't interact with them at all anyway. Well, my uncle called me and told me that my aunt (mom's twin sister) was very upset that I had deleted her and thought my mother had turned me against her. I called my aunt and we had a very long conversation about how my mother has hurt both of us. My aunt and uncle are moving away because of her. They have taken a huge loss on their house but, like me, my aunt is desperate to be away from my mother. My aunt has lived here all her life and feels like my mother has turned people against her since she moved back. My cousins don't have much of a relationship with my aunt because of the lies my mother has told them over the years. My mother is a very convincing liar and is very charming when she wants to be. Very few people see the real side of her; a classic hallmark of npd. Both my aunt and uncle also told me how my mother had bragged that she was making us move here. She told them that Russ didn't want to move here but that she would get him here "through me." Russ was quite ticked off when I told him that. She was determined to get us here, to "win" and then when we were here she wanted nothing to do with us. 
So, that's where things stand now. As far as I'm concerned we are moving forward and leaving the hurt in the past. If she never wants to speak to me again, that is her choice.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are least have goo in laws. And I am not sure how your mother lives like this, and how your father copes with it all

    Either she is a very lucky person or very unfortunate

    ReplyDelete