Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nothing to lose

I have been reading so much about npd since I first "discovered" it. Everything I have read makes it abundantly clear that things will never get any better. Let me say that again...things will never get any better. This means that the dream I had of a close, loving relationship with my family will never happen. (Except of course for my own "family of three") My mother will never love me the way I want her to. Never. That is a hard reality to face, but I am slowly accepting it and I feel like I am getting stronger. Many of the articles I have read say that the best way to deal with a narcissist is to have little or no contact with them. They are not going to change. She is not going to change. So, the way I see it, I have nothing to lose by finally standing up to her. She called me on Friday and we got into it pretty good about us wanting to move. I stood up for myself for once and didn't back down. I have barely spoken to her since then and I actually feel calmer than I have in a long time. I know that I will eventually have to see her again and the thought just sickens me. Tomorrow is my father's birthday so odds are that we will see them for cake sometime this weekend. A part of me desperately wants to confront her but I would never do it in front of my son. Plus I know that it would not make any difference. She would skew it in her mind so that everything was my fault as she has always done. So why should I waste the energy and the emotion?

No comments:

Post a Comment